Chapter 3: Installing ROS

Go down

Chapter 3: Installing ROS

Post by neuronet on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:29 am

In Chapter 3 we start to get to the meat of the book, working with ROS. Note there is a v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶  decent Stack-Overflow-like site for ROS where you can ask questions:

There is a new release of ROS every year, with releases named in alphabetical order. You can track the distributions at this site ( In the book, Lentin uses Indigo Igloo, the 2014 release (which will be supported through 2019). The 2016 release is called Kinetic Kame, which will be supported through 2021:

I installed Kinetic Kame in my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS [edit: this was a mistake: see below] without too much mishap as described at the ROS site ( The book basically runs through the same procedure, but does give some some more helpful details. I am not a Linux guru, so tend to have to just follow recipes when it comes to installing packages--luckily ROS seems far enough along that things work pretty smoothly.

I've now gotten Kinetic Kame installed and about ready to start actually doing the robotics!
Update added August 1, 2016:
because the turtlebot and rocon packages are not yet caught up with Kinetic Kame, but are working fine in Indigo, I recommend installing Indigo. Unfortunately, Indigo does not work with Ubuntu 16! So unfortunately for now (as of early August 2016) I recommend installing things exactly as in the book:
Linux 14.04
Ros Indigo Distro

Probably within 6 months to a year, all the ROS packages like turtlebot and rocon will be all caught up with Kinetic Kame, so you can then install Linux 16 (which is frankly a lot better than 14), and the long term ROS Kinetic, etc.. (and pray that the chefBot clone in the book will continue to work!). IF I ever make these upgrades I will update this post.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum